I just had my last ever trick-or-treating Halloween. (Until I have kids who want to trick-or-treat, but obviously we’ve got a while to go on that one). I feel SO OLD. Lots of people at school teased my friends and I about still trick-or-treating as seniors in high school, but I don’t care! I’ll always be a little kid at heart, and Halloween would not be complete to me without trick-or-treating. My three best friends and I had such a winning costume this year too– we were the Cheetah Girls. If you’re not aware of the Cheetah Girls– which you should be– they were a girl singing group from Disney Channel from the early 2000s. A.K.A. the greatest part of my childhood. We brought the sass to this costume and I think it was our best one yet, even topping freshman year’s The Wiggles costume (which was pretty spectacular if I do say so myself). We had so much fun trick-or-treating for the last time, and we laughed more than I’ve ever laughed in my life. Oh, but the point of this was supposed to be food, right? Though this is not really the most gourmet topic, here is the definitive ranking of Halloween candy, which I think is pretty important.
14. Granola bars or indescript candy- Stay away at all costs.
13. Any lollipop, sucker, sour thing, or item that does not include chocolate- Sorry, chocolate’s where it’s at. That’s just the way it is.
12. 3 Musketeers- I’m sorry, but the chocolate nougat-y mousse-y stuff weirds me out a little. It tastes like foam to me. Not a fan.
11. Milky Way- Similar to 3 Musketeers but only slightly better because of the caramel.
10. Butterfingers- Weird and flaky.
9. Snickers- I know everybody loves Snickers, and don’t get me wrong. I like them. But, I have to be in the mood for Snickers, you know? Peanuts aren’t really my thing, but when it comes down to it, a Snickers bar is hits the spot every now and then.
8. M&M’s- They’re a classic. A little plain sometimes, but always good.
7. Hershey’s- Another classic. Pure chocolate bliss.
6. Twix- I’ve gotta say, I love a good Twix. They used to be my favorite candy, but then I ate them all the time and kind of got sick of them. Oops. But caramel is yummy and cookies are yummy and chocolate is yummy, so you can’t go wrong with a Twix.
5. Crunch- I love the texture of a Crunch bar. The rice gives Crunch bars, well, a crunch that is unique and delicious.
4. Take 5- These are kind of rare but sooo good. They have everything you could want in a candy bar- pretzel, chocolate, caramel, peanut butter… I just wish more people gave them out for Halloween!
3. Kit-Kat- Yumm… Much like the Crunch bar, the texture of the Kit-Kat is what makes it such a great candy. Biting into the crispy layers of wafer followed by the sweet chocolate hitting your tongue makes for a beautiful candy-eating experience.
2. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups- I don’t even like peanut butter. But when peanut butter is paired with chocolate, I’m all for it. I’m so weird. Reese’s are perfect.
1. Almond Joy- Okay, I get a lot of crap from everyone about the Almond Joy being my favorite candy because it’s kind of the weird exotic misfit candy. But I love a good Almond Joy. They’re not just your typical candy, and the coconut is a refreshing contrast to the sea of chocolate you find in every other candy. By far, the best of the best.
Enjoy! Love, The Perky Foodie